Monday, September 10, 2012

WINNING

"Don't worry about making friends; don't worry about making enemies.  Worry about winning, because if you win, your enemies can't hurt you, and if you lose, your friends can't stand you." –Bear Bryant

"A team wins with the elimination of mistakes and with people who want to win and can't stand losing." -Lou Holtz

"Get the winners into the game." –Bear Bryant

"I don’t get a big charge out of being the leading scorer. The object of competing is winning. I just try to do what has to be done for us to win. That might be anything at the time — defense, rebounding, passing. I get great satisfaction out of being a team player.” -Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

“Winning takes character and intelligence. It is the most important thing you can do because it’s a reaffirmation of your character.” –Pete Carril

“Don’t worry about losing.  Think about winning.” –Mike Krzyzewski

"The way you get to be really great in this league is to defeat the teams that you’re supposed to defeat, and there are never any excuses about that." -Pat Riley

“I never learned anything from a match that I won.” –Bobby Jones

“To win, you have to lose, and then get pissed off.” -Joe Namath

“I am rather thoroughly convinced that those who have the self-satisfaction of knowing they have done their best will also be on the most desirable end of the score as much, and perhaps more, than their natural ability might indicate." –John Wooden
"If you're going to play at all, you're out to win. Baseball, board games, playing Jeopardy, I hate to lose." -Derek Jeter
“I do love the feeling of a big win. But you don’t have to have a World Series ring to be a winner. A winner is somebody who goes out there every day and exhausts himself trying to get something accomplished. Being able to get the most from their ability. That’s what characterizes a winner.” –Joe Torre

“You can't just beat a team, you have to leave a lasting impression in their minds so they never want to see you again.” -Mia Hamm

“For me, winning isn't something that happens suddenly on the field when the whistle blows and the crowds roar. Winning is something that builds physically and mentally every day that you train and every night that you dream.” -Emmitt Smith

“Victory is produced by and belongs to all.” –Bill Walsh

"The man who can drive himself further once the effort gets painful is the man who will win. The principle is competing against yourself. It's about self-improvement, about being better than you were the day before." -Steve Young

"Without winners, there wouldn't even be any civilization." –Woody Hayes

"I have one goal with all my decision: to do whatever is needed to win today's game. I'm loyal to my players, and I stick with people because consistency builds confidence. But if I feel I have to make a change in order to win, I'll do it. I don't ask players to like my decisions, only to accept that I'm doing my job with one thing in mind - winning." -Joe Torre

“The quest that we're on is impossible to complete. Because once you win, you've got to win all the time -- and no one wins all the time. The world doesn't work that way." –Bill Parcells

"Winning must be the obsession that determines every decision you make, that guides your thought process, that pushes you to be aggressive when everyone else is hanging back." –Ron Wolf

“A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.” -Larry Bird

"But truth be told, being a winner, in the purest sense of the word, has nothing to do with your performance, your salary, or your earning potential. It has to do with your value and whether or not you have owned it." –John Maxwell

"Each Sunday after the battle, one group savors victory, another lives the bitterness of defeat.  The practice and the hard work of the season seem a small price for having won.  But there are no reasons that are adequate for having lost." –Vince Lombardi

“Nobody remembers who finished second but the guy who finished second.” -Bobby Unser

“No leader, however great, can long continue unless he wins battles. The battles decides all.” –Vince Lombardi

“You will never hear me tell the players that we should have won a game. You will never hear me quoted as saying, ‘we should have won.’ I do not believe in it. You either do or you don’t. It is as simple as that.” –Bob Stoops
"I never believed in the theory that on any given night, anybody could beat you. I don’t believe in that. I mean if you’re better than the Spurs or the Nuggets or the Los Angeles Clippers, then you should beat them." –Pat Riley

“Overemphasizing winning is bad, but singling out winning as the most important thing you do is good, and you should do everything you can to prepare so you can win. Winning is the only objective measure for a team; all the rest is subjective.” –Pete Carril

"I think the worst thing you can do is play poorly and still win." –Nick Saban

“Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all-the-time thing. You don’t win once in a while, you don’t do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit.” –Vince Lombardi
"By emphasizing not only winning but winning today, you move every one's thought process away from a general concept and direct it toward something substantial. It makes progress easy to measure. It makes every one's performance easier to measure. It establishes a tempo for the organization, and it blows away any excuse about not understanding what our goal is and what I expect should be done to achieve it." –Ron Wolf

"When we lose, I’m not a happy man. It may sound backwards, but one way to create a culture of winning is to make everybody in your organization fearful of, or uncomfortable with, the thought of losing.” -Jim Calhoun