Monday, September 10, 2012

PRACTICE

"More than anything else, I'm a strong believer that the structure of your practice is the singularly most determining reason for your success or lack of success as a coach." –Bob Knight

“I would say that good practice sessions are important. But my view of practice is different from most others. To me, practice is not just something that is necessary for a team to prepare itself for game day. Rather, practice is one of the many places where we compete to be the best.” –Pete Carroll

"Take advantage of every opportunity you have to get better. Every practice is important." –Jerry West

"If there is a secret to making the most out of each practice, it is this: Enjoy the drills that improve your skills." -Joe Montana

“To give yourself the best possible chance of playing to your potential, you must prepare for every eventuality. That means practice." -Seve Ballesteros

“It comes down to a very simple saying: There is a right way and a wrong way to do things. You can practice shooting eight hours a day, but if your technique is wrong, then all you become is very good at shooting the wrong way.” –Michael Jordan

"There is no such thing as natural touch. Touch is something you create by hitting millions of golf balls." -Lee Trevino
"The time when there is no one there to feel sorry for you or to cheer for you is when a player is made." -Tim Duncan

"You must be smart enough to be able to practice on your own." -Coach Don Meyer

“Winning is a by-product of preparation and work at practice.” –Bob Knight

“I’ve always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come. I don’t do things halfheartedly. Because I know if I do, then I can expect halfhearted results. That’s why I approached practices the same way I approached games.” -Michael Jordan

“It’s in the best interest of a coach to make sure he is not spending three hours a day practicing things that don’t happen very much.” –Pete Carril

"When you're not practicing, someone somewhere is. And when the two of you meet, given roughly equal ability, he will win." -Ed Macauley

"If our players worked unusually hard, it may have been partially due to seeing the coaches do the same. We started formal preparation for each upcoming season on August 1 with a series of staff meetings. Within a few days the freshman reported, and three days later the varsity players arrived. From that point on, the coaching staff did not have a day off until recruiting was over in the middle of February." –Tom Osborne
"Teach your players how to practice. That's even more important than teaching them what to practice, because if you don't establish the pace you want and if you aren't consistent about it, they're going to work the way they want to and it's going to change with each day. You have to let them know that you want them practicing with a sense of purpose, every time." -Jon Gruden

"For me, it's not just about the game, I mean I love practice. A lot of guys don't. I like going to practice. I love to work on a Wednesday, getting a game plan, trying to put it in the words on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday and then taking the game plan and putting it to work on Sunday." -Peyton Manning

“What you do in practice is going to determine your level of success. I used to tell my players, ‘You have to give 100 percent every day. What you don’t give, you can’t make up for tomorrow. If you only give 75 percent today, you can’t give 125 percent tomorrow to make up for it.’” -John Wooden

"Your game is only as good as your practice." –Don Shula

"During a 10 year stretch at Lipscomb, we averaged 33 wins per seasons.  And after each win, I couldn’t sleep thinking 'how are we going to have an edge in practice tomorrow.'” –Don Meyer

“The coach has to make sure that he is watching, and that he corrects every mistake, and doesn’t take any shortcuts.” –Pete Carril

"If I don’t practice one day, I know it. If I do not practice the next day, the orchestra knows it. If I do not practice the third day, the whole world knows it.” -Ignace Paderewski (pianist)

"What we do best or most perfectly is what we have most thoroughly learned by the longest practice; and at length it falls from us without our notice, as a leaf from a tree." -Henry David Thoreau

“What you do in practice is going to determine your level of success. I used to tell my players, ‘You have to give 100 percent every day. What you don’t give, you can’t make up for tomorrow. If you only give 75 percent today, you can’t give 125 percent tomorrow to make up for it.’”-John Wooden